Saturday, November 24, 2012

ENERGY SNACK & the real deal on carbs!


I'm always in need of an energy boost, especially before a big workout like Body Pump or endurance running. It's critical to eat something 30 minutes before your workout and I can't touch dairy or it makes me burp & feel queasy 20 mins into any blood pumping activity. Just saying. I normally look for something with protein and fiber, to keep me full and focused, as well as something with complex not simple carbohydrates.

**HEALTH TIP:
Carbohydrates, otherwise known as carbs, are not the enemy! In fact these sugar molecules are the body's most common source of energy, and we all need tons of that! The key is to know which carbs to eat for fuel, and which ones to eat in moderation for pleasure. The complex carbohydrates are the "good" carbs, because they are unrefined and still contain their natural water content, fiber, vitamins and minerals. This makes them more ideal because they take longer to digest, leaving you full and satisfied longer. Simple carbohydrates are the "bad" carbs, because they are processed and stripped of their nutrients. In the most simplest of descriptions, complex carbs are more chains of sugar put together so they are harder to break down in your body, whereas simple carbohydrates are just molecules of sugar that are easily broken down. Since simple carbs are easily broken down, they cause a spike in blood sugar leading to your pancreas producing insulin to overcompensate. Too much insulin can then create blood sugar levels to quickly drop which triggers appetite and overeating. 

Examples of complex carbs are fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes. 

Examples of simple carbs are baked goods, candy, fruit juices, sodas, pastas, and white bread. When I was doing my rotations in school my precepting physician would always say, "When it comes to food, white ain't right!" He means the best rule of thumb is to avoid any white foods, because they are predominantly simple carbs, and therefore should be eaten in moderation or altogether avoided. 

If you want a more complete list of simple & complex carbs, and why they are bad and good respectively, visit some websites I trust for more information like NutritionMD.org and FitDay.com. I have attached links to their names that will direct you to articles where they discuss this particular topic, so click away. 


Peanut Butter & Chocolate Bananas

RECIPE


SERVES-1    one serving should ideally be 1/2 a banana, as bananas do have a lot of sugar in them. 
FAT-9g
CALORIES-167
CARBS-18
PROTEIN-5g
FIBER-2.75g

PREP TIME: 2 mins
COOK TIME: none

INGREDIENTS:   
1 medium fresh, ripe banana
1 Tbl of natural peanut butter (I used chunky) 
6 large dark chocolate chip morsels OR 1 tsp
*DARK CHOCOLATE has more anti-oxidants in it & is better for you

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut your banana in half. Peel the half you are going to eat & then slice the banana in half lengthwise so you have two long pieces. 
2. Spread peanut butter across the banana on the flat surface & then add chocolate chips.
**As you see in the first picture of this post I add blueberries to mine. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for chocolate & it adds a sweetness I like with the peanut butter & banana; sometimes I add blueberries with the chocolate, and sometimes no blueberries or chocolate at all. It depends on my sweet tooth or how hungry I am ; ) You can add up to a handful of blueberries as they are no fat at all & full of nutrients! 

**You can go to my FAVORITE THINGS PAGE to see why I chose to eat natural peanut butter vs the reduced fat name brands and why dark chocolate is better for you than milk chocolate! 

What are your favorite workout snacks??? 

No comments:

Post a Comment